Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Why Is Warhammer So Invigorating

I love the smell of Nuln Oil in the morning...
Yesterday was a rough day for me. I had been up since about 3:00 in the morning with my autistic son. There was nothing wrong with him mind you. He's (more than) a little hyperactive, and a lot of things cause him varying levels of anxiety. As a result, every now and again he wakes up at an ungodly hour and refuses to go back to sleep. It's not something he can control, but thankfully it doesn't happen as much as it used to.

I spent much of yesterday keeping him entertained and out of trouble because, of course, the schools in my area are closed because pandemic. There was lots of running around, screaming, laughing, playing, etc. All in all it was a pretty exhausting day. Luckily he managed to fall asleep pretty early.

Most people would, quite understandably, want to simply lay down and pass out themselves. I have to admit that was my initial impulse as well. Instead, I hauled out my paint case, grabbed some water, picked up my brushes and set to working on my latest project.

This little guy right here. Look for him in a post later today...
Instantly I felt invigorated. The fatigue of the day melted away and I found myself in the zone. I found myself ignoring everything else around me. The show I was streaming, my wife (just kidding), nothing mattered except putting brush to model. Before I knew it it was after 10:00 at night. I ended up having to force myself to go to bed, and even then I was so wired up I had trouble getting to sleep.

This has become a common occurrence for me. Normally, I'm only able to paint at night after my son has gone to bed, and I frequently experience this invigorating effect. Stress and fatigue fades away as I concentrate on the most fun hobby in the world. Was it always this way, or is this something that's happened only as I've rediscovered the hobby? It's hard for me to say, really.

I posed the question to the Warhammer 40k Facebook group and received a few interesting responses.

Definitely. Warhammer brings me joy and rejuvenation. It breathes me man.
I have to be careful at night because I can get lost in assembly or painting and hours will fly by....then I have to get myself to a place where I can fall asleep since my mind is wired and still active. I usually steer away from the models when it's after hours because of this.
I do but not 3 hours sleep invigorating lol
Mentally restful. I zen out building models or painting
It’s called endorphins from doing something you enjoy.. 😉
... and yes.. you’re not alone.. 😉
It's called addiction.
Endorphins, of course, would be the scientific explanation for this effect. I'm sure there are reams of research on the subject that would be interesting to someone of a scientific background.

No time to read, though, we've got minis to paint!
 Addiction is, quite frankly, probably closer to the mark and the simplest explanation by far. I find Warhammer to be invigorating because, simply put, I am completely addicted to it. I'm sure my wife would agree with me.

Yeah, it's like that.
Hello, I'm the Happy Heretic, and I'm a Warhammer 40k addict. That's something I'll happily identify as.

What about the rest of you heretics (and Imperials) out there? Do you find Warhammer 40k or Age of Sigmar as invigorating as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hate The Light Of Eltharion

Oh really? My hobby time lately has been rather busy, especially since I recently acquired the Lumineth Realm Lords collector's box...