Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Tonight's Project: Old School Tyranid Terror


I've been considering starting a new Warhammer 40k army for quite a while now. Chaos Space Marines are awesome, but I've been playing them literally since I got into the game way back in third edition. My traitors will always have a special place in my heart, but I think it's time for a change.

Enter the Genestealer Cults.

Xenos heresy is still heresy...
I'll go over my reasons for choosing the Genestealer Cults in a future post. Suffice to say I have a very specific plan in mind for the Genestealers. Specifically I've got an idea to paint up a white and gold paint scheme. Rather than slapping paint haphazardly on a few brand-new models, however, I've decided to do a bit of practice before I get down into the meat of things.

To that end, I've managed to dig this happy little fellow out of the bottom of one of my many bits boxes.

Aww, so cute!
Yes, that's an old school Tyranid termagant with a fleshborer. I've got several of these guys laying around, and damned if I remember just where the hell I got them. I've had these old school Tyranids almost since I started playing Warhammer 40k. I'm sure I had some plan in mind when I bought them, but they've languished in my bin for over a decade.

Until now.

This little guy right here is going to be the guinea pig for a new Tyranid paint scheme. Essentially the plan is to do white flesh and gold armor plating. I've already painted Apothecary White over a Wraithbone base coat. Next step is going to be a dry brush of Army Painter Matt White. Then I'll probably hit it with strong tone for some more shading, then another dry brush of white. After that I'll move on to the gold.

Honestly,  I have absolutely no clue how this is going to look. I used a similar technique to great effect painting Rippa's Snarlfangs from Warhammer Underworld.


Will my planned paint scheme pop on this old school Tyranid? Or will it end up being a complete dud better off consigned to the trash bin of the Warp?

We shall see...

I'll see you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hate The Light Of Eltharion

Oh really? My hobby time lately has been rather busy, especially since I recently acquired the Lumineth Realm Lords collector's box...