Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Finished: Old School Tyranid Terror

Job's a good one!
Last night I showed you the old school Tyranid termagant that I was going to experiment on.

Remember me?
My purpose, of course, was to test a possible paint scheme for an upcoming Genestealer Cults army I was going to be working on. Specifically, the Tyranid termagant's scheme was going to be applied to any purestrain genestealers I would have in my army.

I spent much of tonight finishing up this old school Tyranid, and I have to admit I like the look of what I came up with.

The first step was to undercoat the termagant with some Citadel Wraithbone spray. After that I applied a generous layer of Apothecary White contrast paint as you can see in the picture above. I know the prevailing school of thought with contrast paints is "two thin coats" rather than the "one thick coat" that Games Workshop initially advertised. However, I've found one thick coat to work better on the lighter colors like Apothecary White. The only thing you need to watch out for is some odd pooling that you might get.

Step two was a heavy dry brushing of Army Painter Matt White.


Now, I could have just left this termie as is. There's enough shading on him that the detail pops pretty well. I wanted to take it a step further, however, and get some more defined shading on this bad boy. I don't have any Nuln Oil handy, however I do have Army Painter Strong Tone. Step three saw me hitting the termagant with the Strong Tone like the fist of an angry god.


Now we have a bit more shading and some more definition. I couldn't just leave him that ugly light brown/black color, however. Step four (or five...whatever) saw me slapping another heavy dry brush of Matt White down.


The final steps in this process involved a base coat of Retributor Armor on the carapace plates on the back and the head, followed by another wash of Strong Tone to give it a bit of a bronzed look. Last, but not least, I did some edge highlighting with Auric Armour Gold, and just for giggles I hit the fleshy tubing of the gun with some Blood Angels Red contrast.



At this point I decided to call it quits. I may finish off the rest of this model at some point. Who knows, maybe it'll make a characterful addition to a future Tyranid swarm. The point of this project, however, was proof of concept. I wanted to see if what I had in mind would work. I think the results show that white skin with gold armor plating would work pretty well for Tyranid beasties.

Now I just need to figure out a Genestealer Cult army list that makes generous use of Genestealers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hate The Light Of Eltharion

Oh really? My hobby time lately has been rather busy, especially since I recently acquired the Lumineth Realm Lords collector's box...